The fence we originally had was old and worn out for some of it. So I built a new one and repaired what needed repairing. I started by getting a permit and calling the utility company to come mark the ground for buried stuff. Then I found my corner markers for my property and marked a rough outline of what I wanted.

20190711_110626

I tore down the bad portion of the old fence and got the neighborhood kids to move the scrap and other stuff out of the way for me.

20190714_13453820190714_13455220190714_141003

Then my neighbor James and I dug post holes and set 4×4’s about 8 feet apart. We used 10 foot posts buried 3 feet deep at corners with concrete. Then 8 foot posts buried 2 feet deep for the rest. We got the 4×4’s from Lowe’s. Caleb filled in the concrete.

20190714_143036

20190717_140235

20190714_152350

I went to a local lumber mill and bought a couple bundles of rough cut throw-aways for $40 per bundle. A friend loaned me his trailer to pick up the wood.

20190717_140225

Once the poles were set my friends and I built the framework and started adding the slats. This took about 3 days as we did it between storms and when we had time.

20190717_15480120190718_12364120190718_155357

When we finished the fence then my friend/neighbor Larry helped build a couple gates.

Next we trimmed the fence down to 6 feet high. Larry, Bob, and Addie did the trimming while James and I supervised.

20190724_11091620190724_115733

That left a lot of scrap wood laying on the ground for my minions to earn candy picking up for me.

20190724_13071920190724_130129

And now I have a good fence my community of friends helped me build.

Check back later to see what we made with some of the extra wood…

 

 

Advertisements